Sunday, October 3, 2010

Post Camp Mini Ha Ha

Well, it seems like a long time ago that I returned home from Camp Mini Ha Ha but it's only been a week tomorrow.  I have yet to unpack all of my goodies and project and may not get to that till next weekend.  However, I have been thinking about my next steps and asking questions of my fellow campers about how the stone work should appear where walls join.  I googled castle towers and came up with this fabulous website that has tons of photos of castles Welsh Castle Index.  I've spent hours looking at the photos - they're fascinating!

Here is a photo of my project in the dry fit stage:


My Castle Project at the Dry Fit Stage

I did drop into Dollarama yesterday and purchased a bag of miniature bones to "decorate" my castle when it's done.  Next stop was the building supply store where I bought a couple of copper plumbing caps for pots around the fireplace.  There were two sizes so I bought one of each.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the pink foam in 1/2".  I was looking for a piece to cut for my fireplace back.  There are several sizes ranging from 1" to 2".  My fellow campers think that the 1" will do.

When I get to it, my next step will be dry fitting it together again, marking and cutting any slit windows and marking the stone work on all of the pieces, inside and out.  Then I can take it apart and carve one piece at a time.  Some people found the carving tedious and felt like it would never end.  I found it soothing, much like quilting.  Well, except for the marking mistakes I made.  That took a little work to correct because after all, we can't have our castle's stone work wrong - the castle might fall down!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena